[Owncloud] The open-source release of Enyo, and our problems with mobile deployment.

Matthew McKeen mmckeen at ucla.edu
Thu Jan 26 19:12:23 UTC 2012

Hey all:

Aaron Reichman and I had begun the ownCloud webOS app last year, but with the
death of webOS, the codebase has stagnated.  With the recent open-sourcing of
the enyo (enyojs.com) javascript framework which powers the UI layers of
webOS, I feel like a good way to create a fully functional mobile interface
for ownCloud would be to leverage the enyo code already used in our extremely
young webOS application and finish it.  This cross-platform  javascript library
could be: embedded in other mobile applications, using native APIs,
transformed into a glorious web interface for mobile phones, and furthermore
could prove to be a very good platform upon which to built other
clients/interfaces for ownCloud.  I just merged in some code to the webOS app
yesterday, and would be happy to continue to develop/maintain it if the
community thinks that using enyo as a platform for new ownCloud applications
is a good idea.  It is an extremely powerful toolkit, and I believe that it
greatly increase ownCloud's uses in non-traditional form factors, tablets, and
the like, as the traditional ownCloud UI does not fit those devices very well.

I welcome input on this.

Long live ownCloud!
Matthew McKeen

--