[Owncloud] ldap function getUsers

Dirk Kastens dkastens at uos.de
Tue Jan 17 15:04:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm new to the owncloud project - just installed it yesterday.
First of all, let me say, that I'm very enthusiastic about the project
and the simplicity of the installation process. Great work!!!
I'm planning on offering owncloud as a service at our university.

But there's one problem with the user_ldap app. Sharing files with other
ldap users doesn't work. It's the way the getUsers function is
implemented. We have about 50,000 users in our ldap directory. And we
use anonymous authentication. But the search result is limited to 100
entries, if the search is done anonymously.

So, if we do an anonymous search, it is unlikely that the requested
user, that I want to share my files with, is among the returned users.
On the other hand, if we connect with a binddn and all 50,000 users are
returned, it takes a long time and it consumes a lot of memory (a php
array with 50,000 entries).

Wouldn't it be better if a user could enter an arbitrary uid into the
search field?

--
Viele Gruesse,

Dirk Kastens
Universitaet Osnabrueck, Rechenzentrum (Computer Center)
Albrechtstr. 28, 49069 Osnabrueck, Germany
Tel.: +49-541-969-2347, FAX: -2470