[Owncloud] database: enlarge configvalue column | config files

Arthur Schiwon blizzz at owncloud.com
Thu Feb 23 13:06:19 UTC 2012

Hey all,

currently, the length of the column configvalue (varchar) in the table appconfig
is set to 255. As it happens, sometimes you need more space, e.g. when you
have to define long LDAP-filters.

Therefore I'd like to enlarge this column to a higher value, e.g. 500. The
problem is that MySQL up to version 5.0.2 (incl) only allows VARCHArs with a
length up to 255 bytes. 5.0.3 and later allow 65535 bytes.

SQLite accepts a length of 500 bytes.

PostgresSQL is fine with up to 1 GB.

What do you think, is it okay to set up this barrier for MySQL? I have no idea
about the MySQL versions running in the wild. My 10.04 Ubuntu server delivers
5.1.41, UCS 3.0 ships 5.1.49.

Alternatively, we could move the application config out of the datababe and
store it in a config file under config/.

In a wider scenario, we could also check if config files exists in /etc/owncloud
or /var/lib/owncloud/config/ to make it easier for distributions (see also
Riddells mail from Feb, 15th).

Cheers
Arthur