[Owncloud] RFC: CATEGORIES in vcalendar, vcard

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Wed Feb 22 13:42:04 UTC 2012

After having build an overly complex parser/storage class for categories in VCalendar (iCalendar?) and VCards, Bart V. and I
kind of agreed on a draft for a simplified version [1].

My goal is to have common methods for parsing, storing, querying, adding and deleting categories on/from large amounts of
vobjects to avoid having duplicate or empty categories (dare I mention Nepomuk/Akonadi?), and to give the user an easy UI
to manage categories - with a similar UI for the various apps, but working on different datasets.

I have tested the backend and it seems to work OK by instantiating an object for an app [2] and calling the methods on
add/edit [3].

The different apps should themselves take care of showing categories whichever way they please, but I want to add a front-end
for managing the categories, where I need some JS, a template and a couple of ajax calls.
Since that part is app-agnostic I'm not sure where to put that stuff? /core doesn't really apply, so should I simply
make an app that has no menu entry, or what is the preferred way to do it?

[1] https://gitorious.org/owncloud/owncloud/blobs/vcategories/lib/vcategories.php
[2] https://gitorious.org/owncloud/owncloud/blobs/vcategories/apps/contacts/lib/app.php#line13
[3] https://gitorious.org/owncloud/owncloud/blobs/vcategories/apps/contacts/lib/vcard.php#line229

--