[Owncloud] Removal of 3rd party libraries from the main repo

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Thu Feb 16 09:53:16 UTC 2012

On 16.02.2012, at 10:36, Klaas Freitag wrote:

> On 16.02.2012 10:31, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
>
>> Next time more feedback to the proposed change on the mailinglist is appreciated ;-)
> Point taken, sorry.

:-)

> Although, I tink I somewhere replied with my core opinion here which is: "3rdparty should go away." ;-)

Thats the best approach.
But this would be even more difficult for developers. The idea of the 3rdparty repo was to have a place where all the right versions of the external libs are collected. The user just has to copy it into 3rdparty and it works.

All a developer has to do is to clone the 3rdparty repo as git submodule into the 3rdparty folder and it should work as before.

Maintaining everything in one big repository with incompatible licenses is not a solution in the long run IMHO.

Opinions?

Frank

Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org