[Owncloud] some issues in owncloud 3 and an (hopefully) interesting use case.

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Thu Feb 2 12:53:33 UTC 2012

On Thursday 02 February 2012 11:44 Martin Hunger wrote:
> - contact viewer has improved greatly. Thanks for your work. Contact
> entries (e.g. Email) can be deleted or changed e.g. in Firefox. In
> Chrome 17 I can add new properties but I cannot delete or change
> existing entries. Could this be checked, please?

Testing this in Chromium 16 on Kubuntu and I can add/edit/delete properties.
Do you get any error messages in the web server error log? (btw: strictly,
this should go to http://bugs.owncloud.org )

> - there is another question regarding contact viewer. I have connected
> owncloud adress book to my android phone (using carddav sync). Here I
> can add additional properties (e.g. instant messenger). Property is
> synced (I presume because it does not vanish) but it is not shown in
> contact editor directly in owncloud. Is it wanted that only chosen
> properties are shown in conatct editor?

Currently only a subset of the VCard properties are shown in ownCloud; more is
added in the next version, but you will find if you export the VCard (upper
right corner, next to delete button) that e.g. IM entries are extended
property types - https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2426#section-3.8 - which isn't
high on the priority list atm.

> Last but not least I wanted to describe an (at least for me)
> interesting use case of owncloud inspired by iClouds foto stream. If
> someone is interested how I realized that in detail I would be happy to
> provide all details:
>
> We got two android phones in our family. When one of us takes a photo
> it is synced (when connected via WLAN) to a separate owncloud account.
> For syncing I use foldersync available in the market. When the other
> phone is connected via WLAN it syncs itself as well that you have all
> pictures taken on both phones. Additionally (realized via Tasker) phone
> notifies user in status bar that new pictures have arrived.
> Additionally synced pictures are marked as shared in owncloud. So when
> logging in to owncloud pictures can be watched in gallery.
> Last but least all our computers (a desktop, a netbook and a macbook)
> periodically connect to owncloud and download pictures taken using
> rsync. Pictures can be watched as a local collection in digikam.
> I love it and it was quite easy to realize using owncloud.

That is a great use case indeed. Thanks for sharing this.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus