[Owncloud] some issues in owncloud 3 and an (hopefully) interesting use case.

Martin Hunger martin.hunger at rahnsdorf-online.de
Thu Feb 2 10:44:46 UTC 2012

Hello,

I just upgraded owncloud from 2.0.1 to 3.0.0. I must say you did a
great job. Thanks a lot for giving users the ability to run their own
cloud (nice pun :-)

After upgrading I ran into some issues I would like to publish at this
mailing list:

- user creation does not work in Chrome 17 (17.0.963.46 on MacOS X).
When pressing create button nothing happens. E.g. in Safari, Firefox 7
or Chromium 16 it works perfectly.
- new gallery function is great. I love it. At the moment gallery does
not respect picture orientation (for both gallery view and thumbnails).
Could this be taken into consideration for a next release?
- contact viewer has improved greatly. Thanks for your work. Contact
entries (e.g. Email) can be deleted or changed e.g. in Firefox. In
Chrome 17 I can add new properties but I cannot delete or change
existing entries. Could this be checked, please?
- there is another question regarding contact viewer. I have connected
owncloud adress book to my android phone (using carddav sync). Here I
can add additional properties (e.g. instant messenger). Property is
synced (I presume because it does not vanish) but it is not shown in
contact editor directly in owncloud. Is it wanted that only chosen
properties are shown in conatct editor?

Last but not least I wanted to describe an (at least for me)
interesting use case of owncloud inspired by iClouds foto stream. If
someone is interested how I realized that in detail I would be happy to
provide all details:

We got two android phones in our family. When one of us takes a photo
it is synced (when connected via WLAN) to a separate owncloud account.
For syncing I use foldersync available in the market. When the other
phone is connected via WLAN it syncs itself as well that you have all
pictures taken on both phones. Additionally (realized via Tasker) phone
notifies user in status bar that new pictures have arrived.
Additionally synced pictures are marked as shared in owncloud. So when
logging in to owncloud pictures can be watched in gallery.
Last but least all our computers (a desktop, a netbook and a macbook)
periodically connect to owncloud and download pictures taken using
rsync. Pictures can be watched as a local collection in digikam.
I love it and it was quite easy to realize using owncloud.

--
Best regards

Martin