[Owncloud] Any publicity is good publicity..?

Bernhard Posselt nukeawhale at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 19:45:29 UTC 2012

On 12/15/2012 03:41 PM, hemathor wrote:
> On Saturday 15 December 2012 14:41:46 Frank Karlitschek wrote:

>>> with emphasis on 'this time'? ;)

>>> and please, please, please (prettyplease with a cherry on top): check the client syncing (here: on linux) thoroughly! it still messes up a lot of my files and pollutes it with myriads of conflict-files... and i have just one server and two clients, which don't even access/change files at the same time (apart from the csync client)...
>>>
>>> but still good work, anyway. i just have the impression that you guys want too much in too little time, instead of having something, that works rocksolid, and then go from there... but who cares what i think...
>>>
>> Well Klaas, Danimo and a few others are working full time and super hard on the clients.
> i'm sorry, if i offended someone... i really like the idea of owncloud and i am grateful for all your work!
> but as i said, focussing on things to work reliably (which i think is _the_ most important thing especially regarding syncing) instead of adding features wouldn't do any harm at all.
>
>> But more help is always appreciated. For example testing under all possible conditions with good step by step description of possible bugs is a huge help.
>> So if you want to contribute feel free to help :-)
> believe it or not, i already thought of it... ;) ask me again after march 2013, then i might have more time to do so.
>
> greetings...
Actually this is our main focus right now. I dont think 5.0 contains a
lot of new app features, most things we're changes to make the code
better testable: Also, we started with a better documentation (which is
still lacking in certain parts though). The build server now runs user
acceptance and system tests with multiple configurations, we introduced
a good system to write acceptance tests (which is lacking docs atm ;) ).
There will be a dev meeting in february with exclusive focus on stability.

So in general we're on the road to make it rock solid, the problem is
just that it takes A TON of time and code knowledge to get this done. If
you are interested in any particular part though, I think the
maintainers of the app will be greatful for any help.

Apart from getting to know the code, this could also lead to better
documentation, because if you explain something, why explain it again
and again if you could just write it down once. This would significantly
lower the barriers for people who want to help fixing bugs. For instance
a small document with an overview over what is located in which file,
like: "everything related to keyboard inputs and dom binding is in
js/files.js"