[Owncloud] Share contact update

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Mon Dec 10 21:41:34 UTC 2012

On Monday 10 December 2012 21:40 thomas at guenneguez.com wrote:
> I want to send all (or some) of my contacts to a temporary
> link they update their details in my book owncloud. I think this is not
> possible, but it would be interesting to propose such a
> possibility.
>
> What do you think?

Do you mean like sharing a file with a temporary link? I could maybe see that
as a way for sharing a contact read-only, but not for updating.

Currently only address books are sharable, and only via web UI and CardDAV.
I deliberately chose not to make single contacts sharable, because I failed to
see a good use case for it - or rather I could see better alternatives ;)

We have started work on a public address book API where address book providers
can register as backends, and have made a proof of concept implementation for
ownCloud contacts. Other possibilities could be for example an LDAP backend or
an ownCloud users backend. Having such backends would give you real-time
updates of your contacts - if they were in one of them of course - and it
would avoid duplicated/outdated contact information.

This is in very early concept state, so don't expect to see it next week ;)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus