[Owncloud] CSS: use px, not em

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Wed Dec 5 21:22:25 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 05 December 2012 01:09:17 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> Please only use px as values, no em anymore.
> px are absolute and let us control everything much easier, while em are
> relative to the font-size

I tend to agree with Thomas Tanghus and Sebastian Kügler and am rather worried
what such a change will do wrt accessibility.
It also seems to divert from what the W3C recommends at
http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/font-size#goodcss
Another point against px over em can be found here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/609517/why-em-instead-of-px#609543

But I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

That _a_ site using 3 different devices looks the same, initially, doesn't equal
proven in my view. When I wrote all my HTML and CSS by hand, I always tested my
pages by resizing my browser window to all kind of sizes and at the minimum it
had to degrade gracefully and the same would apply to zooming pages.

> You don’t need to change every em value to px right now, but when
> you write new code or touch old one, please use px.

Wouldn't that lead to a whole bunch of subtle issues (/bug reports) when some
things are expressed as px, while others are still using em?
IMO changing from em to px is a big change and should be done at the very
beginning of a new development cycle and be applied all at once (prepared in a
branch).

My 0.02