[Owncloud] ownCloud Client 1.1.0 beta1

Emre Erenoglu erenoglu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 17:37:11 UTC 2012

Hi Klaas,

I will test it tonight. But do you have any document that I can read to
understand how the sync process works?

Scenario 1: Team working on a document
1) files uploaded from client1 to server  (thus server assigns an ID to it,
is client aware of this ID?)
2) client2 syncs the file to his computer (is client2 aware of this ID)
3) client2 user updates the file
4) client2 understands in next scheduled sync that file is updated (new
timestamp in local?)  locally
5) client2 updates the server, server issues a new ID
Now, how does client1 understand that the file is updated on the server and
that he shall overwrite local version? (by comparing his ID & the ID he got
from server?)

Scenario 2: A conflict (same as above mostly, but client1 also updates in
the meantime)
1) files uploaded from client1 to server  (thus server assigns an ID to it,
is client aware of this ID?)
2) client2 syncs the file to his computer (is client2 aware of this ID)
3) client2 user updates the file
4) client2 understands in next scheduled sync that file is updated (new
timestamp in local?)
5) client2 updates the server, server issues a new ID
6) In the meantime, client1 user also updated the file
7) client1 tries to update file on server, sees a different ID than he
expected (conflict)
Now, how does client1 resolve the conflict?
A) Does not resolve, create two files
B) Does not resolve, raise a warning message box to user and ask him to
choose which version is right
C) Checks the timestamps on the server & client, overwrites the old one
(but then again server & client needs to have correct time!)

Above is a hypothetical workflow, the way the client & server works might
be totally different. I'm looking forward for your comments,

Best regards,
Emre

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Klaas Freitag <freitag at owncloud.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am happy to announce the availability of ownCloud Client 1.1.0 beta1
> together with ownClouds version of csync 0.50.9.
>
> It is the first release with a reworked sync engine: Instead of using the
> modification time of files to detect updates, it now uses uniq ids for
> every file which are issued by the ownCloud server. The ID changes if the
> file changes which is used to detect updates. To decide which files are
> more recent, the modification time (corrected by the time difference
> between server and client) is used.
>
> As ownCloud server also propagates ID changes up in the directory tree the
> client now also supports a way more efficient change detection. While
> earlier client versions had to traverse through all the tree it now is
> possible to check the topmost directory and if that has still the same ID,
> further traversing can be skipped. That results in greatly reduced server
> load.
>
> Note that this is a BETA release for you to test. Please do not use it in
> production environments yet, it still contains bugs! Keep it away from your
> serious data!!
>
> Downloads:
> csync source: http://download.owncloud.com/**download/beta/csync-0.50.9.**
> tar.bz2 <http://download.owncloud.com/download/beta/csync-0.50.9.tar.bz2>
> mirall source: http://download.owncloud.com/**download/beta/mirall-1.1.**
> 0beta1.tar.bz2<http://download.owncloud.com/download/beta/mirall-1.1.0beta1.tar.bz2>
> Linux Packages: http://software.opensuse.org/**
> download/package?project=isv:**ownCloud:devel&package=**owncloud-client<http://software.opensuse.org/download/package?project=isv:ownCloud:devel&package=owncloud-client>
> windows: http://download.owncloud.com/**download/beta/owncloud-client-**
> 1.1.0beta1-setup.exe<http://download.owncloud.com/download/beta/owncloud-client-1.1.0beta1-setup.exe>
> MacOS: http://download.owncloud.com/**download/beta/**
> ownCloudClientSetup-1.1.**0beta1.dmg<http://download.owncloud.com/download/beta/ownCloudClientSetup-1.1.0beta1.dmg>
>
> Also note that client 1.1.0 requires ownCloud server version 4.5, the 4.0
> line does not play with it.
>
> Please report bugs you might see to http://bugs.owncloud.org mentioning
> the platform you're on and what exactly happend.
>
> Refer to http://owncloud.org/dev/sync-**clients/linux-build/<http://owncloud.org/dev/sync-clients/linux-build/>on how to build from source.
>
> Thanks to all who helped to make this step happen!
>
> regards,
>
> Klaas

Emre