[Owncloud] ownCloud Mailing List for developers

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Wed Aug 29 19:07:35 UTC 2012

On 29.08.2012 17:01, Torsten Grote wrote:
Hi,

> On Wednesday 29 August 2012 15:44:53 Trey Nolen wrote:
>> If a separate list gets created OR if this one is closed
>> to just developers, someone (or multiple someones) need to also watch
>> the user list and/or the forums to try to help out with support.
>
> The Kolab Community [1] has different lists for developers and users. We even
> have a separate users-de list for German speaking users. It works quite well.
I still wonder if users do not prefer forums, but I think its worth a
try to split off a developers list.

> the developers are active at both lists and answer questions from the users
> and the users are not bothered with development discussion. The only thing
> that happens from time to time is users asking user questions on the dev list.
> But apart from that it works well.
Yes, I think its a "classical" setup. +1 for it. And I think all devs
will of course lure around on the users list and help here and there.

> I wouldn't like it if important development discussions are made only on
> ownCloud Inc.'s closed development mailing list.
That is definitely not the case. Nobody wants that and its not happening.

Speaking about that, I sometimes would appreciate more real technical
discussions on the list, like discussions about concepts that people
plan to implement. A more in depth discussion could discover
dependencies, inform people, gather contributors and such. We had good
examples (like the Sharing API) and not so good here recently (like the
new syncing algorithm to some extend).

regards,
Klaas