[Owncloud] company/community relationship

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Mon Aug 20 18:56:26 UTC 2012

On Monday 20 August 2012 14:51 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> On 17.08.2012, at 21:30, Thomas Tanghus <thomas at tanghus.net> wrote:

> >> - ownCloud, Inc. is a software company built around the ownCloud Open
> >> Source project and is fully committed to Open Source principles.
> >>
> >> - ownCloud is developed as an Open Source project by all participants of
> >> the ownCloud community.
> >>
> >> - All members of the ownCloud community understand that ownCloud Inc. can
> >> sell proprietary licenses for ownCloud to its customers. As in many Open
> >> Source companies, parts of the proceeds flow back into the ownCloud
> >> community, e.g. through sponsorships or employing ownCloud community
> >> developers.
> >
> > "Given the open AGPL licensing scheme ownCloud Inc. (and others) can
> > choose to sell proprietary licenses and equally develop optional
> > proprietary plugins for it's customers, while..."
>
> See the answer from Klaas here. An additional mail about this topic is
> coming in a few minutes

Yeah, I was too fast in that one. What I meant to add was that it's possible
for 3rd parties to develop proprietary plugins as well (I presume), which is
also a good selling point.

> >> - The ownCloud community respects the ownCloud trademark usage
> >> guidelines,
> >> which explain usage options for the ownCloud trademarks.
> >
> > How exactly is it wrt trademark?
>
> What do you mean?

I just don't remember seeing any ownCloud trademark usage guidelines.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus