[Owncloud] Chaining owncloud servers via webdav

Jörn Friedrich Dreyer jfd at owncloud.com
Sun Aug 19 13:24:39 UTC 2012

Im using owncloud with davfs2 on linux. Cache size set to 15GB so nearly
everything I access regularily is cached locally. unfortunately my server only
has 50GB of space and I will run out of disk space with the next holiday
pictures.

I'm thining of setting up an owncloud server at home (which has lots of space,
but not the best upload) and use it as a file backend for my rented server.

Is this already possible with ownCloud itself? Or should I try davfs2 for this
again?

Taking this Idea a step further I was thinking of running owncloud on the
desktop. For this purpose I tried out Resin / Quercus to run php in a Java
servlet container: http://www.caucho.com/projects-open-source/php-app-server-
quercus/

I got owncloud running after commenting the ZipArchive check (quercus
implements the zip function but not the ZipArchive class). Im currently
writing a sqlite module for quercus so I could package everything together and
have owncloud run on every platform that runs java.

I could then chain my owncloud instance all together like this:
owncloud at home: slow upload, lots of space, dyndns ip, acting as storage /
backup
owncloud at internet: fast access, limited storage on a rented server (~50GB
space), acting as a fast cache
owncloud at client: local owncloud, encrypts/decrypts files acting as cache on
every machine I own that runs java (2 laptops, a desktop ... possibly
android), need their password seed aligned so I can access my files from
everywhere
webdav at client decrypted access to the files in my owncloud

This way the owncloud at client instances are under my control (I dont even need
admin rights as I just start a java program that opens a port I choose for web
access). Files are encrypted locally and I can store huge amounts of data. For
what I want I can even make the lucene based search backend index files on the
clients and store the index encrypted, without loosing to much speed. Quercus
even claims to speeds up php by 400%.

I can imagine owncloud provide a zip that conatins such a preconfigured client
owncloud user just need to download, extract and run locally to have that
functionality.

This all works when owncloud can use other owncloud instances as file backends
and cache files like davfs2 does.

Did the sun finally melt my brain? Have I gone crazy? What do you all think?

so long

Jörn

--
Jörn Friedrich Dreyer (jfd at owncloud.com)