[Owncloud] ownCloud Client 1.0.4 Release

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Sun Aug 12 19:06:01 UTC 2012

On 12.08.2012 14:09, Jono wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Steve Riley <steve at rileyz.net> wrote:
>> On 2012-08-11 06:59:43 Jono <jono at foodnotblogs.com> wrote:
>>>

> The owncloud client is using inotify to listen for local file changes.
> It can not be used to listen for remote file changes. And it uses the
> csync library which performs two way file sync just like unison.
>
> So yes, owncloud already behaves as these solutions you have read
> about. The only problem is how does the client determine when a file
> changes on the server. That is where polling occurs. "Unison and
> inotify" does not address this problem because these are things
> initiated from the client to the server. You would need an additional
> technology to initiate commands from the server to the client, if you
> want to remove polling altogether.
This is absolutely correct.

What we would need as a first step would be any kind of notification
that anything has changed server side, which would trigger a sync (which
in turn has to be efficient, but other topic). There are a couple of
technologies around for this notifications, I haven't tried them yet. An
interesting task I think :)

Thanks,

Klaas