[Owncloud] ownCloud Client 1.0.4 Release

Jono jono at foodnotblogs.com
Sun Aug 12 11:09:06 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Steve Riley <steve at rileyz.net> wrote:
> On 2012-08-11 06:59:43 Jono <jono at foodnotblogs.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, the client periodically polls the server to look for updates. A
>> way around this is to have something push from the server to connected
>> clients. Like a process that manages client connections. I am not sure
>> how "Unison and inotify" would solve this problem though.
>
> I've seen a few posts around the web describing how to build Dropbox-like two-
> way sync with Unison and inotify. I was simply curious whether OwnCloud might
> be able to adopt a similar approach. inotify is neat because it responds to
> kernel notification about file changes, avoiding the need to continually poll
> for those.

The owncloud client is using inotify to listen for local file changes.
It can not be used to listen for remote file changes. And it uses the
csync library which performs two way file sync just like unison.

So yes, owncloud already behaves as these solutions you have read
about. The only problem is how does the client determine when a file
changes on the server. That is where polling occurs. "Unison and
inotify" does not address this problem because these are things
initiated from the client to the server. You would need an additional
technology to initiate commands from the server to the client, if you
want to remove polling altogether.