[Owncloud] File upload

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Thu Aug 9 15:01:07 UTC 2012

Yo. Inline replies. (By the way, I know we talked about this before,
and I don’t remember why we actually went for tokenized links. Crazy.)

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 4:54 AM, Michael Grosser
<owncloud at seetheprogress.net> wrote:
> I think the token is quite a great feature for security and great when
> you have editable and upload enabled sharing.

How is it secure, when you probably send the link to someone anyway,
or post it publicly? The only thing it does is look ugly and techy.

Also, »editable« doesn’t even happen in this case. That’s only for
user-to-user sharing.

>> That's what I want to have!
>> Can we make it for OC5? Maybe not I guess.
> I'm not sure if that shouldn't be an extra feature. (share everything
> savely via token link and have a public folder, which can be accessed
> dropbox style and triggers sharing with these urls)
> It's actually quite confusing I assume and therefore would just go
> with the sharing we have now.

If you talk about the Public folder which Dropbox used to have – they
phased it out.
People don’t think in terms of a »global share folder for others who
don’t have ownCloud yet« but rather in project/folder-specific
sharing.

The link being a jumbled mess of hundreds of weird characters doesn’t
make sharing more safe, because people still paste that stuff
everywhere. Rather than annoying them for no reason apparent to them,
just give them a properly formed link and let them carry on their
work.

Not to mention the people who receive a message containing such a
link. Looking like a link shortener and/or malicious bunch of weird
characters, seemingly not containing an expected »holiday-photo.jpg«,
they’ll scratch their head and say »computer people«.

How our links look is a big part of our public image.

>>> The counter-argument, and reason why it is not so, is (as I
>>> understand) that other shared files could be guessable. This is not
>>> really important as a) no it’s not (at least not easily) b) the files
>>> are shared publicly anyway c) dropbox does it exactly like that.
>>>
> Don't like the argument "someone else is doing it"!

It’s not just that. It’s »our thanks to their streamlined experience
most successful proprietary competitor does it like that and people
seem to like it just fine«.