[Owncloud] [mysql] drop MyISAM support, get better database

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Tue Aug 7 08:12:57 UTC 2012

On 06.08.2012 21:26, Frank Karlitschek wrote:

Hi,

> On 06.08.2012, at 20:20, Robin Appelman <icewind at owncloud.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday 06 August 2012 18:54:08 Daniel Danger wrote:
>>> innoDB is the default engine in recent MySQL versions. It is also
>>> supported in all older versions of mysql that I know of.
>> but that doesn't mean innodb is supported in every installation,  I had to
>> dissable innodb in one of my vps's due to memory limitations
>
> Also MyISAM is faster and is using less resources in situation where you have significantly more read than write operations.
Hmmm, you find arguments for both MyISAM is faster and vice versa, see
[1] for example. I also do not think that the database performance on
that level is really that important for us. Usually performance is
killed on code level above the database.

Where InnoDB might decrease our performance is in database design. Using
all the features of a InnoDB requires a way more thought through
database design than just plugging a few tables together as it often
happens. Obviously its a good thing to think in depth about a database
design, but that's a higher bar.

Regarding the read/write operation ratio, I think in ownCloud we have
quite a lot write operations compared to other systems like *image
websites, which fill the db once and read a million times. If I think of
the file system cache, it has quite some write and delete operations.
And here InnoDB has its real power: It does a row based locking on write
operations instead of a table based. That really helps in concurrent
environments we have.

regards,
Klaas

[1]