[Owncloud] special characters in filenames

Thu Aug 2 15:14:48 UTC 2012

 Hi

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Emre Erenoglu <erenoglu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Alexander Skwar <
> alexanders.mailinglists+nospam at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Emre Erenoglu <erenoglu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am using Linux & Windows and all my filenames are fine with some
>>> accented & special characters which are not present in English alphabet
>>

>> Think about storing a file named this:
>>
>>    This: is a \ stoopid example?
>>

>> Works just fine on Linux - you can store the ":", "\" and "?" just fine.
>> Not so on Windows - the ":" is a problem.
>> And OS X will translate the ":" to a "/" (for display).
>>
>> And that example shows problems that exist even WITHOUT UTF-8.
>>

> I understood it from Evert's post, but the solution is very easy. Just
> refuse to upload or sync such strange filenames within the web interface or
> sync client and give an error/warning message. That's it and I think very
> normal. I don't think any user would object to it.

Well - I'd object. What's a "strange" filename? One with ":" in it? Why? Or
a "?"? Again: Why?
Filenames with dates (eg. logs) could easily have a ":". Some IMAP servers
and also mailclients use ":" in filenames, IIRC.

Regards,

Alexander
--
↯    Lifestream (Twitter, Blog, …) ↣ http://alexs77.soup.io/     ↯