[Owncloud] special characters in filenames

Emre Erenoglu erenoglu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 15:03:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Alexander Skwar <
alexanders.mailinglists+nospam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Emre Erenoglu <erenoglu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am using Linux & Windows and all my filenames are fine with some
>> accented & special characters which are not present in English alphabet
>

> Think about storing a file named this:
>
>    This: is a \ stoopid example?
>

> Works just fine on Linux - you can store the ":", "\" and "?" just fine.
> Not so on Windows - the ":" is a problem.
> And OS X will translate the ":" to a "/" (for display).
>
> And that example shows problems that exist even WITHOUT UTF-8.

I understood it from Evert's post, but the solution is very easy. Just
refuse to upload or sync such strange filenames within the web interface or
sync client and give an error/warning message. That's it and I think very
normal. I don't think any user would object to it.

--
Emre