[Owncloud] Gitorious vs Github

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Sat Apr 28 20:43:00 UTC 2012

On 28.04.2012 22:21, Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> Not to open a can of worms (again),
lol

> ..[Github is more hip and better]..
>
> Software freedom – and in this case the freedom of the software we use
> for development – is just a means, not an end. Our goal is the freedom
> of others, that of the people we make the software for. And that can
> be achieved best&  fastest by using Github and by leveraging a vast
> range of enthusiastic developers&  designers which are, as it is,
> mostly on Github.
This discussion is the "vi or emacs" discussion of these days. What you
basically say is that for our goal to produce free software it does not
matter if the basics we use for that is free, as long its the best.

I heard that 100x and still I don't buy it. It's wrong. Freedom requires
freedom, its not working otherwise. Thought into an extreme, look how
nice github could harm free software by simply switching off. (Yes, I
also know that git is de-central, but still, you get the idea.

Apart from that, I am tired of the discussion of course and don't really
care from where I do git pull. The argument against our bugtracker
however does not count for me here.

regards,
Klaas