[Owncloud] Kde-soc 2012

viraj sinha virajssinha at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 15:07:55 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Frank Karlitschek <frank at owncloud.org>wrote:

> On 24.04.2012, at 16:04, viraj sinha <virajssinha at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello ,
> >   My name is Viraj Sinha. I had applied for GSoc 2012 for owncloud
> dolphin integration but didn't get selected. I really wanted to contribute
> to owncloud and kde so I had a chat with Bartek Przybylski . He helped me a
> lot and suggested that first we should think of a protocol for owncloud to
> link with file managers as the existing process using webdav is too
> complicated . I would really like to work on this, as the idea is pretty
> interesting and niece , along with Bartek. This could make the process so
> easier and fun.Can I submit this as an idea for kde-soc 2012 and Bartek can
> guide me as he has already helped me a lot? Do let me know guys please as I
> am really interested to work on it this summer.
>
> Hi Viraj,
>
> I´m sorry that you are not selected.
> It would be really awesome if you could work on the dolphin integration.
>
> I agree with Bartek that we need a special API for that. We want to use
> WebDAV for all the file access stuff.
> But if we want to add action to dolphin like "share with.." or "show
> versions of .." or "send public link to..." then we need special calls for
> that of course.
> I suggest to add to to the existing OCS API that´s already implemented in
> ownCloud. This is a RESTfull API that we have to extend for the new
> features that you need. Than we can extend libattica in KDE to support this
> new call and then we just have to use this calls in dolphin.
>
> I can help you with that part together with Bartek of course :-)

Thanks for your help Frank. I completely agree with you.
It would be an honour to work with the owncloud founder himself.

> I think the next logical step would be to look at the use-cases that we
> want to cover with the Dolphin integration and then design the API calls
> accordingly. I can also help with that.
>
> Does this make sense?

Yes it makes sense. Infact i just learned about use cases in my Software
eng class this semester and came to know the importance of it . I wanted to
work on it after may 24 as my end semester exams are from May 7,2012-May 25
2012 . I am free for the summer after that. That is why I wanted to apply
for it in kde-soc.
What are your thoughts?

--
Regards