[Owncloud] Need help to run owncloud on FreeBSD

Martyn Hill martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 14:42:38 UTC 2012

Dear list

I have tried several times to configure owncloud (v2 and v3) on my
FreeBSD server at home, but always get stuck at the very same point.

I should like some guidance on how to troubleshoot the process, if
anyone here can assist. I can't find my specific problem in any of the
existing forum/mail postings...

In simple terms, having installed owncloud either from FreeBSD ports or
'manually' from the binary and GIT repository, I am able to access the
first config page where the admin credentials are requested and type of
DB backend, I click submit and then... nothing.

I have also tried different browsers (IE 7, 8, Google Crome, Firefox) in
case it was a client issue.

Always the same observed result, whether SQLIte or MySQL (after first
configuring the MySQL user) is chosen.

My environment:
     FreeBSD 8.1 RELEASE
     Apache 2.2
     SQLite 3.7.9 & MySQL 5.1
<All the php modules listed on the owncloud requisites page - v5.3.8)>

My first question is: /*How do you debug the php scripts that are run?*/

The closest I've gotten to tracking down the problem is somewhere in the
MDB2/Driver sections, but that was a somewhat blind goose-chase through
the php code, trying to run each script in the chain one at a time.

Any ideas? I've read of others who are succesfully running OC on
FreeBSD, or at least getting beyond this very first hurdle.

Martyn Hill

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."