[Owncloud] Changes to ownCloud Sharing

Tony McCourin tony.mccourin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 06:50:07 UTC 2011

Hi all

i have talked to darkh a little more about this.

basically, his improvements are really made out of three points. point one is
the improvement to the filesystem e.g. putting usernames in Shared directory.
however, it has some problems in that (from his words, i never looked at the
code) since the same virtual filesystem is mounted to both webdav and the web
GUI, it unnessesarily complicates sharing through the web GUI. I suggested we
develop something that would allow having subfloders in webdav e.g.:
https://tonymc.pagekite.me/owncloud/apps/files_sharing/get.php?token=71c2b44b1e127718c36b84a0b42307ff353be9a9

while having the Shared folder in the GUI look a little different e.g.:
https://tonymc.pagekite.me/owncloud/apps/files_sharing/get.php?token=0cab118d0a91f1290c7dbe42abef1426374d1b33

I can't think of any way to make this happen in a clean manner (i.e. without a
bunch of duct tape) but maybe we can figure something out together.

another bit of improvement (correctly outlined by MTGap) is the groups/users
sharing. in order to better explain his changes, i am quoting our IRC
conversation:
<darkh> in current master, if you share with a group than you actually share
with all current users of that group... adding a new user to the group will
not allow him to access the shared file
<darkh> my code is as you said really aware of groups

i am not sure if this is the case with the current codebase as i never tested
it and never looked at the code, but if it really is - then his proposal makes
perfect sense.

yet another proposal of his is that "public link" sharing is done via a "guest
user/guest group" instead of just providing a link. while i can see where he
is coming from (making public link use the same file access infrastructure that
is used for regular, intra-owncloud links), i do not think this is a good
idea, so i am currently persuading darkh to drop this idea simply because from
a logical point of view "making file public" isn't sharing, it's making a link
to that file, and should be treated as such.

however, darkh seems reluctant to drop his public linking idea
(understandable, as he put in some work in this) so maybe if he doesn't agree
with our point of view on that issue, someone could implement his ideas
anyway.

now, concerning a point raised by MTGap in the original email. there can be
now way for an owncloud user to *securely* make a _public_ link in a way that
only a person to whom it's intended to is able to download it. you can do
anything e.g. password-protect or any other method - it can always be
circumvented, or it will involve way too much hassle for the end user (on both
ends). the only idea that is close to being somewhat workeable is maybe
limiting download times e.g. file can only be downloaded N times, or enabling
some sort of time limit e.g. file can be downloaded during N hours after it has
been shared.
--

Best regards,
Tony