[Owncloud] Google Code-In / Sending large amount of data, the reliable way?

Nicolas Le Manchet nicolas.le.manchet at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 12:59:14 UTC 2011

Hello,
I successfully implemented FTP support for Owncloud. I used proftpd built
with SQL support as FTP daemon. The trick is to make users being able to
log-in with their username but to tell proftpd to chroot them into
/var/www/data/user/files/ and to use www-data:www-data as owner/group for
all uploads. So we do not need any cron job or shell script to change
owner/group. However I had to change two things in owncloud core: to add
"homedir" information in table "users" (where the user will be chrooted) and
to change the password encryption (proftpd cannot decrypt the used hash).

If you are interested with this project we can add a new branch in gitorious
in order to make this improvement avaiable for everyone.

Regards,
Nicolas Le Manchet