[Owncloud] Please put MB after the filesize in the "Files" view

Michael Gapczynski gapczynskim at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 03:39:58 UTC 2011

Seeing as my ideas and opinions on the topic of user interfaces were changed
by Jan-Christoph over the summer during my project, I feel that I should
step in. Not that Jan-Christoph needs any help, he convinced me on many UI
decisions. I'll attempt to justify ownCloud's decisions as best as I can.

When you're looking for a file on your hard drive the only thing that
matters is the file name. Who cares about what date it was created,
modified, or its size; this is trivial information. I agree with
Jan-Christoph that I would like to see an icon view as the default in the
future for ownCloud 3 to make the experience more meaningful.

It may be confusing at first, but as mentioned before you just place your
cursor over the size and the unit appears. In my opinion file sizes are only
relative and I don't really care how large a file is. Since sizes are just
relative we do show larger files as darker. The only thing that a user
should be concerned about is how much space remains on their ownCloud. This
is clearly presented in the personal page of the settings.

If we do make an 'advanced' users configuration file for setting this option
or an option in settings, this mailing list would once again get messages
about why this isn't the default. A configuration file for this sort of
customization will never happen.

If you're not satisfied, there is nothing preventing you from changing it on
your own. You must ask yourself though if it was worth looking through the
code to see where the sizes are inserted and adding 'MB'. You knew it was
megabytes before and it won't change the way you use ownCloud.

Michael Gapczynski