[Owncloud] Fwd: Flattr for the release?

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sat Oct 8 21:39:42 UTC 2011

On Saturday 08 October 2011 Michael Grosser wrote:
> I really would have liked to have a reasonable discussion, but now it's
> getting ridiculous.
> Writing something like this doesn't even provide any basis of discussion:
> "I hope Flattr doesn't just send money to people reaching out to them,
> claiming that they are the rightful owner of the money."
> I don't want to clarify this.

Come on, this was meant tongue-in-cheek.

But seriously, legitimating access to money, also in case of problems, is an
issue, which an organization solves compared to doing it privately.

> The only thing I want to clarify is that Flattr is a trustworthy company,
> much more trustworthy than Paypal.

I have not much trust in Paypal either. Somehow money has to be transferred,
though, and Paypal works, just as many other options do. Flattr is using
Paypal as well, so there is no point in discussing who is more trustworthy.
It's on different levels.

> I think the best for ownCloud is to end this discussion now.
> I wanted to discuss a valid point and still think it is one, but I don't
> want to get down to this ridiculous basis.

It's up to you and the rest of the ownCloud community to make up your mind
about how you want to handle donations. I'm just offering some thoughts and
experience from my side. Feel free to use or ignore it. KDE does provide an
immediate way to move forward with this. I like ownCloud a lot, and I think it
would be beneficial for ownCloud to make use of this opportunity.