[Owncloud] Fwd: Flattr for the release?

Michael Grosser owncloud at seetheprogress.net
Sat Oct 8 18:57:30 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher at kde.org>wrote:

> On Saturday 08 October 2011 Michael Grosser wrote:
> >
> > So why not get to the point and have dedicated donations for owncloud and
> > let them be handled from kde? It even would be possible to let a
> community
> > member handle the flattr account and make a transaction to kde every few
> > months.
>
> If a community member has the account it's a private account with all the
> risks and problems. It might sound like theory, but what happens when the
> community member doesn't care anymore, and doesn't reply to any requests?
> The
> money is missing and there is no way to get it. Stuff like this does
> happen,
> so I would avoid it.

It's easily avoidable. Just reach out to flattr. Or use a
flattr at owncloud.org mail and it can be redirected if someone isn't
answering.

> > Then it would be legally alright (using KDE), ownCloud would still be
> > supported from the common pool, but it would be a dedicated labeled
> account
> > for future changes and easy user recognizability.
>
> As I said, a dedicated account and dedicated donations can have some
> issues.
> So instead of going with something new like a flattr account, I would
> recommend to just use the existing infrastructure and put something like
> "if
> you want to financially support ownCloud donate to KDE e.V." on the
> ownCloud
> web page and in the release announcement. We have Paypal donations buttons
> we
> can use for that, if you prefer a real button.

I thought the good thing about being open is the ability to use something
new and I would really appreciate ownCloud being open and modern, so give
the user at least the ability to not use paypal.
I'm not saying we can't integrate a paypal button for kde on the
contribution page, but I like the idea of flattr and I would love this
account to be dedicated, even if it just is a dedicated account for
dedicated labeling.