[Owncloud] Hoping to contribute as part of University degree

Craig Roberts craig0990 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 7 17:32:09 UTC 2011

Hi Florian and Robin,

Thanks for the suggestions - I somehow managed not to think about
metadata/versioning while I was trying to come up with ideas.

The versioning functionality takes my interest, I've been looking into
the issues most distributed version control systems have with large
files, as well as the DeltaV extension to WebDAV (RFC 3253).

What I'd like to know is how ownCloud is expected to behave -
apparently SVN provides a WebDAV/DeltaV compatible web server, which
makes it a check-in/check-out, centralised model. Alternatively, a
DVCS-based implementation (either Git or something similar) would
allow merging between each remote (i.e. desktop/laptop/ownCloud
server).

Should I be looking at implementing DeltaV, either into ownCloud or
directly upstream into SabreDAV; or would it be better to look into a
distributed VCS with some big file extensions and concentrate on
providing an intuitive interface for managing it all?

Thanks,
--Craig