[Owncloud] Community management

Jan-Christoph Borchardt jan at unhosted.org
Mon Oct 3 13:07:03 UTC 2011

I have less time to maintain our social network accounts in the future.
I'll focus on the general design and management – and also work more on
the Unhosted project: http://unhosted.org
This post contains everything which I used for "community management" or
whatever you want to call it – including starting off accounts at
Diaspora, Identi.ca and Twitter, monitoring feeds and maintaining a help
platform. This is very important outreach and rewarding work with all the
praise, issues and questions.

Diaspora is the most active account and best platform as it allows for
good conversation. Often contacted via private messages, many threads,
vibrant community. Diaspora users are generally very interested in new
stuff and help others.
http://joindiaspora.com/u/owncloud ~1000 friends
Tag search http://joindiaspora.com/tags/owncloud (more posts in the
internal profile notifications)

Identi.ca http://identi.ca/owncloud ~850 following, ~300 followers
Search (a bit broken, only old results)
http://identi.ca/search/notice?q=ownCloud
As a feed (works better) http://identi.ca/search/notice/rss?q=ownCloud

Twitter http://twitter.com/ownClouders ~700 following, ~200 followers
Search http://twitter.com/search/ownCloud (saved searches like "cloud
privacy" etc. also useful)
Feed for subscribing http://search.twitter.com/search.atom?q=ownCloud

The Google blog search feed is also good to find blog posts:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%E2%80%9DownCloud%E2%80%9D&hl=en&tbm=blg&output=atom

Frank, you already tweet from the account sometimes – please use
Identi.ca, it cross-posts automatically.
Florian, you write a lot and communicate with others – would you like to
take care of the social accounts overall?

As a general thing again: Please use the main account when posting
anything ownCloud-related and repeat it from your personal one – that
makes the official account more popular. Also, please use Identi.ca for
posting, the notices will automatically be cross-posted to Twitter.
Diaspora needs to be done separately for now – but also allows for images.
So if you want to show off screenshots, post to Diaspora first and then
use the public link for the notice on Identi.ca & Twitter.
I basically followed everyone who mentioned ownCloud or related things,
commented on a post, repeated a notice, liked a post etc. - that way they
can send private messages if they are more comfortable with it.

Also, please help people at http://owncloud.shapado.com – we will embed it
as help section (as agreed on 2 meetings ago already and sent to the
mailing list before). As soon as they offer an API we will properly
integrate that. The priority at the moment is to have one help platform
which is easy and fast to use. We should also encourage using Shapado
instead of the mailing list for bugs reports as Shapado is much more
visible – and clearly seperates developer discussion from issues.

Let me know if you are interested.