[Owncloud] 2 release

Jos Poortvliet jos at opensuse.org
Sun Oct 2 20:35:04 UTC 2011

On 30.09.2011 Florian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > So I suggest to release another beta today and do the final release
> > in one week. What do you think?
>
> Sounds good. It's really time to have that stable release, to update
> all the packages for Ubuntu/SuSE, write to packagecloud and ask them
> to update, and to have something we can give our users as "stable".
> I really want to remove all that 1.2 and even 1.1 stuff from the
> website..
>
> I think another week should be enough time.
>
> > the plan was to release ownCloud 2 today.
> > And we also miss a release announcement text.
>
> I volunteer to write one in an etherpad over the weekend. I'll bug
> JanCBorchardt and the other website people to help me, and annoy
> Robin with questions about technical changes, tehe. ;)

Tips on getting noise about the owncloud 2.0 release:

- Finish the release notes at LEAST 3 days before the release and send
them to press (KDE has a closed press list, Lydia and Sebas maintain
it). Doing this almost guarantees a couple of articles on international
websites, esp if you add a few 'juicy' quotes (make something up and
attribute to Frank or so) and some other background info in that mail
(things like number of changes/commits/bugfixes/contributors). Also be
sure to include screenshots - a feature guide is a very useful thing for
press, they love it.
- Let the dot team know about the release even longer so they can plan a
slot on dot.kde.org
- make sure you release on a Tuesday, those are the best days for a
release of anything :D
- mention something 'big' in the FOSS world. Like the Desktop Summit
(just claim you got good work done there and the meeting(s) were
useful).

Cheers,
Jos