[Owncloud] [Sharing] Making the "Shared" folder a bit more "special" :)

rom1dep rom1dep at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 10:43:34 UTC 2011

Hi there !

I deployed owncloud in my university, and people is pretty happy with it :)

The thing is.. although I wrote some (french) doc on how to share
files, explained and re-explained it multiple times, people persist in
trying to upload their files into the "Shared" directory when they
want to make them accessible to others.

I think that the user really need to feel that the "Shared" folder is
a special place, and that it's content is automatically populated.

So, let's comment those propositions :) :

What about assigning a special icon to it ?
What about renaming "Shared" into "Shared with Me" ? (+add translation :) )
What about removing the Upload button when browsing within this directory ?
What about showing an info message from within this common black popup
when the shared directory is hovered ?

Thanks !

Romain.