[Owncloud] Re: Connecting to Diaspora

matthias sweertvaegher matthias.sweertvaegher at gmail.com
Wed May 25 20:10:52 UTC 2011

hi Jan-Christoph,

I am just a spectator on this list, but since I am also interested in
tahoe I couldn't help but reply :)

I've looked at it in the past, but couldn't see how one can use it in
a personal use case, it seems more for storage service providers.
So, it might be a stupid question, but how would you apply this to owncloud?

I guess you would have to run the gateway on some public server
(because you want to access your data from anywhere). Most people only
have 1 server, so you would run the storage server on the gateway
server as well? But does it make sense then to use a distributed
filessystem if you don't use it that way? :)

Writing this down, I realise, maybe you mean to focus on the
availability of your data: you can add other storage servers in case
your own server goes down (google storage, S3, etc)..?
Or is it more like Wuala, in which you "donate" some of your own
harddrive space and bandwidth to anonymous users and in turn you get
more in the cloud? It would be more an ourCloud then instead of just
our own, I guess ;)

matthias