[Owncloud] Connecting to Diaspora

Jan-Christoph Borchardt JanCBorchardt at fsfe.org
Tue May 24 14:06:48 UTC 2011

A follow-up to connecting ownCloud with Diaspora:

Connecting Dropbox to Diaspora now works via the app http://cubbi.es –
making it possible to share files stored in one’s Dropbox:
https://joindiaspora.com/status_messages/259526

I talked to Ilya Zhitomirskiy of Diaspora about connecting ownCloud to it.
He said that his roommate worked on the Dropbox integration, so if anyone
is interested in taking on the ownCloud connection and curious how they
did it, they could ask him.

I don‘t know if there are any plans for an API – but just in case, he
mentioned:
»When you get to building the API, do an identical clone to the Dropbox
one. That way it‘s super easy for developers to integrate, that way all
they need to do is switch the endpoint.«

He also asked about why we don‘t use Tahoe-LAFS – which I answered because
of dependencies (Tahoe is Python). But if there are any questions about
cryptography:
»The main developer swung by a Diaspora meetup, he was pretty smart dude,
who knows everything about crypto. Let me know if you guys want an intro.«

So while I‘m no backend developer I hope the info is helpful. If you have
further questions please let me know. :)