[Owncloud] Re: Season of KDE

Robin Appelman icewind1991 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 14:36:50 UTC 2011

On Monday 02 May 2011 16:29:53 Priyanka wrote:
> Hi Jakob,
>
> Thanks for your mail.
>
> As I told, I am interested in allowing users to pull their data from
> closed services to ownCloud.
>
> Flickr and Google Docs are the two that Robin suggested, but their can
> be other closed services as well. I went through the Flickr API, and
> implemented a small Python script to get a hang of it.
>
> IMHO, essentially the functionality should be there so that:
> - The user can pick and choose which objects she wants to get into the
> cloud. - One-way / Two-way synchronization of the documents in the cloud
> with these closed services.
>
> I am not sure if this can be implemented as a plugin. I would rather
> suggest developing a client application for this using Python-PyGTK.
> The application will allow the user to connect to the service, receive
> the files, do the processing she wants and then transfer the same to
> the ownCloud server running at some location.
>
> Since different services have different APIs to take care of, if
> possible there should be a pluggable architecture kind of thing
> wherein developers could develop plugins for a new service which was
> not supported by the application till now.
>
> Please let me know your views / suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> Priyanka.

I personally would prefer it being implemented as a server side plugin to make
it easier accessable since you don't require people to install something on
the client side.
A plugable architecture that makes it simple to develop new "import scripts"
would certainly be the best way to go.

 - Robin Appelman