[Owncloud] Re: Refactoring owncloud

Jakob Sack mail at jakobsack.de
Thu Mar 3 23:07:39 UTC 2011

Hi Sam,

I aggree with you that we do not need another web based "operation system".
Unfortunately we did not define the exact aim of owncloud like several kde
applications (ok, the only one that comes to my mind is krita) did it two
years ago. I want to discuss this in Stuttgart.
As of now, my vision is the following: "ownCloud provides an excellent access
to your files, be it through webdav or a web interface. It also provides a
platform to easily sync your contacts, calendars and bookmarks accross
different devices and gives you *basic* editing features right on the web.
Extending ownCloud is straightforward because of its easy to learn yet
powerful API and the simple plugin and application installers."
I think that basic editing features for contacts, calendars and bookmarks are
important because it allows you to perform simple actions from everywhere. On
the other hand, I put the emphasis on "basic" as there is no need to compete
with horde, thousands of gallerys and hundreds of addressbooks that can do
everything.
I like the idea of using other servers and just playing the frontend, too.
I'll keep this in mind.
Greetings,

Jakob