[Owncloud] Re: Refactoring owncloud

mail at samtuke.com mail at samtuke.com
Thu Mar 3 17:37:53 UTC 2011

On Thursday 03 March 2011 11:03:50 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> I think ownCloud might move more into the direction of a platform for web
> apps in the future.  So plugins might become more like Apps which run on
> top of ownCloud.
>
> One day an ownCloud user might install an RSS reader App, a TODO manager or
> a game on ownCloud as an third party App. We can provide a interface to
> search for new Plugins/Apps, install or update via OCS or uninstall them.

I think this sounds promising and exciting.

Just keep in mind that we don't necessarily need another eyeos
(http://www.eyeos.org/) - this project already provides a good platform for
google apps style cloud applications.

For me at least, owncloud would be most useful as a clean and integrated front
end to cloud services provided by other applications, like groupware, jabber
server, tor server, etherpad server, ampache server, webdav, etc.

Thanks,

Sam.