[Owncloud] Re: Refactoring owncloud

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Thu Mar 3 11:03:50 UTC 2011

Hi Jakob,

this sounds interesting. I´m looking forward to see your results.

Perhaps it´s good to keep one aspect in mind.
I think ownCloud might move more into the direction of a platform for web apps in the future.
So plugins might become more like Apps which run on top of ownCloud.

One day an ownCloud user might install an RSS reader App, a TODO manager or a game on ownCloud as an third party App. We can provide a interface to search for new Plugins/Apps, install or update via OCS or uninstall them.

It´s important that we provide a clean API for Plugins/Apps with features like "I´m a plugin and I need those database tables. Please create them for me during install and remove them during uninstall". "Create those additional buttons in the navigation" or "I need an additional data directory for my stuff".

It would be also cool if we could provide basic GUI elements for the Plugins/Apps. Like a listview, a button and so on.

What do you think?

Cheers
Frank