[Owncloud] Re: Website brainstorming review

Damien Tardy-Panis damientardypanis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 23:29:34 UTC 2011

Hi Jan-Christoph and everybody,

On Sunday 03 July 2011 21:32:27 you wrote:
> Hey Damien and everyone,
>
> I finally digitalized the mockup and updated it, also taking into account
> what you wrote in the document:
> https://gitorious.org/jancborchardt/jancborchardt/blobs/master/ownCloud/web
> site%20mockup.png – by no means final, hence the wireframe form. It should
> have the style of the current log in page.
>
> It’s pretty much explained in the remarks on the right side of the mockup.
> The 3 basic target groups are users, webmasters and contributors, so there
> are 3 columns with relevant links in the first block and dynamic updates
> in the second one.
>
> Important is that we should keep everything simple and not have too much
> text on the site. We need to make installing and using ownCloud incredibly
> easy and understandable, ideally eliminating the need for any manual. Of
> course we need to explain the necessary things and offer help but the main
> point why Dropbox is so widely used is that it is just that; easy, quick
> and you don’t need to read lots of stuff.
>
> I would be happy for any feedback. I’ll do some quick testing with the
> mockups later and tomorrow so I can get some opinions of Dropbox users and
> non-technical people.

I think there are a lot of good ideas in there. Especially about the
separation of the content and the display of these parts.

Something I don't understand is: you want this page to replace the current
login page?
Sorry I don't have a Diaspora account yet to compare with what they do ;-)
Does it look like joindiaspora.com with the other page for the login? I think
it is better to leave the login boxes (username+password) visible and easily
accesible in the first page. That's what people expect to find on this page:
they want to access their account.

I would prefer not to use the same page on both the website and the login
page. I don't see where this idea came from: the pages have different purposes
so I don't understand why they should be the same. For example, 'try the web
demo', providers things, are not relevant on the login page.

I agree with you that we should keep everything simple and sober. So isn't
that page too busy? I see the point of having some links and a better login
page but here it is really too much IMHO. Especially, there are too much
technical stuff on it that could make the user run away. A page like
joindiaspora.com will fit better: the philosophy of the project, a link to the
development, one for the help...
I think the best should be something in the middle between your page and this
one speaking about the content proposed.

I can try to provide some design (for the website itself) for the end of the
week so that you can give feedback too. And discuss what to do with these
pages.

Maybe I didn't correctly understood what you wanted to to. Sorry if it's the
case ;-)

For the rest, as I said, I agree about the targeted people and your ideas
about the importance of making everything as easy and light as possible for
the users.

Cheers,
Damien