[Owncloud] Re: Website brainstorming review

Jan-Christoph JanCBorchardt at fsfe.org
Sun Jul 3 19:32:27 UTC 2011

Hey Damien and everyone,

I finally digitalized the mockup and updated it, also taking into account
what you wrote in the document:
https://gitorious.org/jancborchardt/jancborchardt/blobs/master/ownCloud/website%20mockup.png
– by no means final, hence the wireframe form. It should have the style of
the current log in page.

It’s pretty much explained in the remarks on the right side of the mockup.
The 3 basic target groups are users, webmasters and contributors, so there
are 3 columns with relevant links in the first block and dynamic updates
in the second one.

Important is that we should keep everything simple and not have too much
text on the site. We need to make installing and using ownCloud incredibly
easy and understandable, ideally eliminating the need for any manual. Of
course we need to explain the necessary things and offer help but the main
point why Dropbox is so widely used is that it is just that; easy, quick
and you don’t need to read lots of stuff.

I would be happy for any feedback. I’ll do some quick testing with the
mockups later and tomorrow so I can get some opinions of Dropbox users and
non-technical people.