[Owncloud] Re: Dropbox-like syncing

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Fri Jan 21 15:46:09 UTC 2011

On Thursday 20 January 2011 23:32:38 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> The, not yet implemented, plan is to have commandline syncing client with
> an optional GUI. The client should:
>  1. read a configuration file so see which folders to sync and which
> owncloud server to use. 2. mount the owncloud server via fuse or a
> different tool into a hidden directory. 3. call a syncing tool like csync
> to sync between the local directory and the mounted directory 4. unmount
> owncloud
>  5. write a log-file about the synced files and potential conflicts which
> the user has to solve.
>
> The client should be as portable as possible of course.
> That´s the basic idea. It would be cool if you could help to implement
> something like this.

I already sent a mail to the list writing my proposal to do that. I am
actually implementing it. Akunambol and SyncML is already a solution for this.
I am now working on the client side, and it's a matter of implementing SyncML
interface on ownCloud.

If you are interested in working on this, I could help you explaining you
this.
Basically, the idea is that SyncML is a protocol which is designed exactly for
this purpose, there is awesome and well tested FLOSS software to do that
(which even ubuntu one uses), and Akunambol is a KDE interface for it, which
I'm developing. I've finished making it plugin based, and am working on a
library to easily sync any kind of data to a SyncML server. The work needed
would be to integrate a SyncML server (like funambol) with ownCloud,
eventually falling back to one of the several SyncML PHP libraries that exist
out there. This would allow to sync files, or other pools of data: bookmarks,
configurations, plasmoids...

If you're interested it would be amazing, there is only a little piece of work
that is missing, which I cannot do because of time issues, and which could
bring free syncronization of any data to the KDE/FLOSS world.

Bye,
-Riccardo