[Owncloud] Re: Dropbox-like syncing

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Thu Jan 20 22:32:38 UTC 2011

On 20.01.2011, at 23:08, Rob Hoelz wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I recently heard about OwnCloud, and I'd like to start using it as a
> replacement for Dropbox.  Obviously, this functionality isn't there
> yet, but I was hoping to contribute in that area.  What kind of work
> has been done for Dropbox-like syncing?  Are there notes on how the
> OwnCloud team plans on going about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

The, not yet implemented, plan is to have commandline syncing client with an optional GUI.
The client should:
 1. read a configuration file so see which folders to sync and which owncloud server to use.
 2. mount the owncloud server via fuse or a different tool into a hidden directory.
 3. call a syncing tool like csync to sync between the local directory and the mounted directory
 4. unmount owncloud
 5. write a log-file about the synced files and potential conflicts which the user has to solve.

The client should be as portable as possible of course.
That´s the basic idea. It would be cool if you could help to implement something like this.

Cheers
Frank

--
Frank Karlitschek