[Owncloud] ownsync, existing?

Dorian Alcacer Labrador dal_ml at me.com
Thu Dec 8 17:29:36 UTC 2011

Hi Frank,

I've just tested the script against my ubuntu-machine. There need to be major adjustments; the nix-systems don't seem to be compatible, at all.
First obstacle will be, that the user isn't allowed to create folders within /media … or to mount drives...

So the attached file can be understood as a straight forward draft / test, or first shot; which means that feedbacks and improvements are _very_ welcomed.

I'm not sure if a git-repository is appropriate for that custom solution. Just in case you disagree, my freshly obtained gitorious-account is called "dal" :)

Overall I thought twice about the topic in the past few hours and had certain doubts about engaging it by myself:
In deed there exist several webdav-syncs and mount-helpers which can be used to accomplish the given task; this maybe renders custom solutions needles.

After all I think a dedicate owncloud-tool (maybe placed within the App Store and/or Ubuntu Software Centre/APT-repository/...) would be very nice, hopefully easy to create, easy to install and eventually a great promo for owncloud itself.
Depending on the OS the client could be automatically able to system-wide substitute common config files [after being approved by the user whilst setup):] and to store them in the cloud (.vimrc, .profile, .gitconfig, .gitignore, … and further Application-Settings)…

Though it's not a nearby issue I've positively checked the App Store for python-based applications and applications that perform mounts. There shouldn't be any restrictions why the explained script can't be mapped to a python-application, packaged as an App and be submitted without being rejected by Apple. Regarding webdav this means, it's possible to use the implementation provided by the os itself.

Kind Regards,
dal

Btw: I guess the future plan to enable server site encryption will disable the ability of sharing via samba…