[Owncloud] 2.0

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Fri Aug 26 21:11:05 UTC 2011

Hi Jan,

I must say that I disagree. The current codebase needs more testing before we can release it as stable 2.0
Especially security, performance and cross platform compatibility needs more enduser and developer testing.
I don´t think that this slows us down because we can always work on new features in a branch.

I suggest to discuss this at the meeting.

Cheers
Frank

On 26.08.2011, at 21:31, Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:

> Actually, scratch the schedule. We don’t need any beta etc. since we
> actually already know 90 % of the issues. Many people already test it.
> More feedback will actually only slow us down because we have to respond
> the same things over and over again. It’s already like that now.
>
> Next week (at the meeting) we should decide which features go in / need to
> be developed and prioritize the fixes. When the blockers are fixed and
> features are ready we can release. I know we should get a stable version
> out soon but I would prefer it to be good as well and not dictated by a
> strict schedule. After all it will be the first "stable" release of our
> basically new product, that also goes in the distributions (or so I hope).
>
> It will probably still be ready end of September but we can focus more on
> actual development rather than getting the deadlines. It doesn’t matter if
> it’s a week more or less, the product should be good.
>

> On Fri, August 26, 2011 20:16, Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
>> I mostly agree with the schedule although I would simplify it a bit
>>
>> August 26: alpha
>> September 9: beta (feature freeze)
>> September 23: ownCloud 2.0 stable
>>
>> People willing to experiment probably already have the bleeding edge zips
>> or pull from git.
>>
>> Also, I’d really like to solve the current problem of the scattered
>> communication/support channels before 2.0 – clearly define what is for
>> developer communication (mailing list & IRC) and what is for
>> bugs/support/help (Knowledgebase / Shapado). When we want feedback there
>> should be an easy way for people to give it and be heard – and us not
>> receiving multiple issue reports.
>>
>> I propose a general/organizational meeting next Thursday, September 1,
>> 19:00 CEST:
>> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2011&month=9&day=1&hour=17&min=0&sec=0&p1=224&p2=179&p3=16&p4=176
>>
>> And maybe we should do regular meetings, weekly or bi-weekly, to assess
>> the current state and drive stuff forward.
>>
>> Proposed agenda, details on http://owncloud.notes.kde.org/1 (top:
>> Organization)
>> * move to Gitorious
>> * get the website running http://test.owncloud.org
>> * streamline communication & support channels
>>
>> Let me know what you think!

Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org