[Owncloud] Re: GSoC ownCloud Sharing Proposal

Robin Appelman icewind1991 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 15:20:29 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 05 April 2011 16:53:33 Florian Wiesweg wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 5. April 2011, um 01:55:08 schrieb Michael Gapczynski:
> > I've just submitted my proposal for ownCloud Sharing for Google Summer of
> > Code. This project will allow users of an ownCloud server to share files
> > with each other. Currently in ownCloud, users can only access their own
> > data, and have no ability to share their data with the other users. This
> > project will also allow users to share a space for their data in which a
> > group of users have access to the files.
>
> I just had an idea when reading your post. What about inter-server sharing,
> i.e. one ownCloud server can link to another one to share files on the
> latter to its own users? This way, a nice ownCloud mesh of peers could
> develop, similarly powerful to dropbox sharing in terms of reachable
> people, but distributed and with full control for all users over their
> data. I haven't taken a close look at ownCloud (just loosely following
> development via this mailing list), so please I apologise in case this has
> already been proposed :)

one way I've thought of making this possible is allow ownCloud to function as
openid client/server. that way a user can login on a someone else's server and
be given access to files shared with him without having an account on that
server. This proces could be automated by ownCloud to provide transparent
sharing across server while reusing the code from sharing on the same server.

 - Robin Appelman