[Owncloud] Re: GSoC ownCloud Sharing Proposal

Florian Wiesweg lhugsereg at gmx.de
Tue Apr 5 14:53:33 UTC 2011

Am Dienstag, 5. April 2011, um 01:55:08 schrieb Michael Gapczynski:
> I've just submitted my proposal for ownCloud Sharing for Google Summer of
> Code. This project will allow users of an ownCloud server to share files
> with each other. Currently in ownCloud, users can only access their own
> data, and have no ability to share their data with the other users. This
> project will also allow users to share a space for their data in which a
> group of users have access to the files.

I just had an idea when reading your post. What about inter-server sharing,
i.e. one ownCloud server can link to another one to share files on the latter
to its own users? This way, a nice ownCloud mesh of peers could develop,
similarly powerful to dropbox sharing in terms of reachable people, but
distributed and with full control for all users over their data. I haven't
taken a close look at ownCloud (just loosely following development via this
mailing list), so please I apologise in case this has already been proposed :)