[Owncloud] Re: use git for release/hotfix/... tracking / do not track config.php

Aldo "xoen" Giambelluca xoen at xoen.org
Sat Oct 30 16:59:20 UTC 2010

2010/10/20 Oluf Lorenzen <finkregh at mafia-server.net>:
> It would be really nice if you would use branches for each release you tag.
> That would ease upgrading the files on an productive system as you simply
> switch branches from e.g. [release-0.1] to [release-1.0].
>
> I'd suggest reading [1] if some of you want to dig deeper into that (there are
> also bash-completion-scripts :)).
> [...]
>
> [1]: <http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/>

Thanks for the suggestion, I've found the time to read it and it's
really interesting, there are good ideas in it and I suggest Karl and
Robin to read it too (if not yet read it). I would use master for
develpment as usual and a stable branch for releases.

The features branch are already used (more or less).

The release branch where only bugfixing occur is a good idea and it
leave free to continue development in master while releasing.
Author doesn't keep release branches after the relase but maybe it
could be an idea to support older releases (this is an important thing
author doesn't cover).

Also the hotfix branches are a good idea, but there isn't a lot of bug
[2] in the tracking system at the moment :P.

[2]: https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=owncloud

--
Aldo "xoen" Giambelluca