[Owncloud] Re: Templating engine or not?
daitheflu at free.fr
Tue Nov 9 11:21:00 UTC 2010
As I said yesterday on IRC, I'm strongly pro separating views and treatments as far as we can. But I'm also strongly against templating systems. Here is why :
- PHP is a templating system. Includes and the alternative syntax are made for that (http://php.net/manual/en/control-structures.alternative-syntax.php). As a consequence, most templating systems are just re-inventing the wheel : PHP works already well and has no limitations.
- It forces us to learn a new language.
- I don't think they make things easier for webdesigners (just look at some template code, it's the same).
- I also think that webdesigners have to have a basic knowledge of PHP to do a proper work :P
- It adds a strong dependency. What if the templating system we chose isn't maintained anymore (that could be in 2 or 3 years, who knows) ?
- It may decrease performances (this is arguable).
I used to build my websites with a templating system and, I now see that the gain is null.
However, just like Frank, if a majority of people wants it, just go on with the chosen one :)
----- Mail Original -----
De: "Frank Karlitschek" <karlitschek at kde.org>
À: info at s8inac.org
Cc: "owncloud" <owncloud at kde.org>
Envoyé: Mardi 9 Novembre 2010 11h54:02 GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Berne / Rome / Stockholm / Vienne
Objet: [Owncloud] Re: Templating engine or not?
I´m personally not a big fan of templating engines in PHP for stuff beside
static webpages like corporate websites.
Sometimes they are not powerful enough and limit the functionality of the frontend.
Or they are powerful and are something like a programming language inside a programming language.
Which is a bit stupid in my opinion because PHP was developed to be exactly that. :-)
And webdesigners also have problems to contribute because they have to learn the complex template language.
So I´m personally not a big fan of this idea but if the majority wants to do this please go forward.
On 09.11.2010, at 11:36, info at s8inac.org wrote:
> yesterday we had a discussion on irc about templating engine or not.
> We all agreed we have to seperate views.
> But how was the question.
> Lets start with pro for templating:
> - easier way to seperate application logic and views (think about MVC)
> - webdesigners could contribute this project
> - ...
> and contra:
> - dependency on 3rd party software
> - isn't php a template system?
> - ...
> We would prefer PHPTAL as a templating engine beacause i have
> experience with it.
> What do you think?
> kinds regards
> - Simon
karlitschek at kde.org
Owncloud mailing list
Owncloud at kde.org
More information about the Owncloud