[Owncloud] OwnClouds Future

Cosmin Gorgovan cosmin at linux-geek.org
Sun Mar 21 21:10:10 UTC 2010

Hi,

> I see one flaw - for this you need desktop implementation of OwnCloud
> in a form of a
> daemon and an application for syncing.

Yeah, I was proposing an implementation using FUSE because this way you
can make applications wait until a file becomes available before
allowing them access to it. This would prevent race conditions like
starting firefox, firefox creating a new profile because the existent
one hasn't been downloaded yet and then being unable to download the
original file because the new one is locked.
I consider this essential if you want more functionality than dropbox
(eg. using owncloud for your whole home directory).
> I plan on working on this (daemon and sync app), either for KDE or
> GNOME organizations, but it would be great if you would like to
> collaborate as our projects overlap - perhaps work together on the
> backend, I'll work on the UI, and you can modify the apps to make it
> work with OwnCloud.

I think it would be orders of magnitude easier and faster to do decent
file syncing (that is, not too slow) for dot files instead of modifying
every application out there to use a custom library for saving settings.

The other thing is that at least for the moment I intend to work through
GSoC, and as this is a KDE project, I suppose my work would need to be
mostly DE independent or KDE-specific. By the way, are you also a GSoC
student?
> I am also inviting the other guy that wishes to do UI for other DE, to
> collaborate. Reusing effort and collaborating is good.
Sure. The only thing to keep in mind is that in the context of GSoC
there's not too much time, so the tasks would need to be fairly discrete.
> The backend and
> the UI would be written in python.

I was also going to suggest Python, with the mention that I'd like to
test the disk and network I/O speed more thoroughly.
> That being said, the approach you mentioned is a very rough one. I
> have some ideas
> in mind that might improve situation, namely:
>
> - collect basic info about the computer, and attach it to particular
> home folder in OwnCloud

That sounds like something to use when otherwise things start breaking.
> - if you want to mount it on another computer, inspect that computer
> and see if there are
>   any potential problems

Those being file conflicts?
> - if there are no problem, just mount it, otherwise say there might be
> potential conflicts
>
> That being said, I'd say we should avoid syncing dot-files for now:
> its not easy to get
> it right, and you still get most of the functionality. However I can
> see that this has some
> shortcomings, especially in applications like firefox that holds
> profile data in such
> files and directories, so we *might* selectively choose that.

Almost all applications save user data in dot files. Personally, I have
switched between different distributions and kept my home directory
intact for a number of times without encountering any significant
problem. What we'd need is an option for creating symlinks, because
files used by the same application might have slightly different names
on different distributions.
> I must say that I am really happy to see so much interest in OwnCloud. Let's see
> what the future holds for us.
>
> Cheers,
> Mario

Exciting times ahead :)