[Owncloud] OwnClouds Future

Mario Đanić mario.danic at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 08:15:57 UTC 2010

I see one flaw - for this you need desktop implementation of OwnCloud
in a form of a
daemon and an application for syncing.

I plan on working on this (daemon and sync app), either for KDE or
GNOME organizations, but it would be great if you would like to
collaborate as our projects overlap - perhaps work together on the
backend, I'll work on the UI, and you can modify the apps to make it
work with OwnCloud.
I am also inviting the other guy that wishes to do UI for other DE, to
collaborate. Reusing effort and collaborating is good. The backend and
the UI would be written in python.

That being said, the approach you mentioned is a very rough one. I
have some ideas
in mind that might improve situation, namely:

- collect basic info about the computer, and attach it to particular
home folder in OwnCloud
- if you want to mount it on another computer, inspect that computer
and see if there are
 any potential problems
- if there are no problem, just mount it, otherwise say there might be
potential conflicts

That being said, I'd say we should avoid syncing dot-files for now:
its not easy to get
it right, and you still get most of the functionality. However I can
see that this has some
shortcomings, especially in applications like firefox that holds
profile data in such
files and directories, so we *might* selectively choose that.

I must say that I am really happy to see so much interest in OwnCloud. Let's see
what the future holds for us.

Cheers,
Mario